War survivors on a raft to Nusa Penida (Smit, 1942)

Below report was written by Dutch colonial Marine officer M.S.D. 1st class Ir. N.J.C. Smit in December 1945. He recounts in detail the shipwreck of the torpedo-boat destroyer H.M. "Piet Hein" after an attack by an "enemy" torpedo-boat in the pitch-black night of 19-20 February 1942, in the Badoeng strait between mainland Bali and Nusa Penida.

The original Dutch text follows below, translation by G.Dijkman.

Some 40 marine personnel managed to survive by holding on to rafts which eventually stranded them on Nusa Penida's southeastern steep cliffs. How did they manage not to succumb to the fierce currents in the Badung Strait? Who exactly was this "enemy" torpedo-boat? And, arguably more to the point, what help did the marine personnel get from the local population of the island? Fortunately, along the bottom of the towering cliffs, which for some proved a death trap, there was fresh water...

Additional notes made after 1945 in the original letter, in various handwritings, and information by Godi Dijkman are given in square brackets. Please, refer to source and notes at the bottom of this article. English translation by Godi Dijkman.

Night of 19-20 February 1942

tydemanImage right: 'Cliffs of Noesa Penida near Bali.'. Tydeman's view of the towering cliffs of Noesa Penida (island southeast of Bali)', Gustaaf Frederik Tydeman aboard Siboga, 1899' Source: het Scheepvaartmuseum; www.maritiemdigitaal.nl)

[handwritten, above this page: 'Report today M.K. – H: m: Piet Hein = Agno177C06/7-1-45 – Smit']

During the action I found myself at the entrance of the engine room underneath the rear bridge, where I was standby for possible difficulties both on deck and in the engine room. Officer M.S.D van Muyden [the 'M' in bold has been changed, the original letter hardly readable, it could be an h or m or n] was inside the engine room and was in charge.

After the torpedos from the rear torpedo cannon had been fired, at which the cartridge remains set fire to the mats - quicly extinguished - nothing happened for a while. The ship continued at 23 nautical miles. Because of the darkness, we couldn't detect any manoeuvres. Silence ruled aboard, as the cogwheels were of excellent workmanship, and at this crossing, given the three chambers, the noise of the ... was hardly audible. At around 10.30 PM we heard noise at starboard and witnessed the volleys caused by three granades. We hid as well as we could, after which a second volley hit closerby, followed by a third, which hit the midship. The volleys were fired in quick succession without searchlights. On deck we saw the results of a burning airplane winch motor, which spread a glaring light.

During the pause in the firing, which followed after mentioned three volleys, I tried to bring back to live the whole machinery (?), to no avail, because the only remaining chamber wasn't able to get water and was switched off due to a lack of water. The remaining staff was sent upstairs. As the ship was fired at yet again, this time from starboard with a search light, and in the engine room all machinery had stopped working, I sent all of the staff upstairs. During the pause in the shooting, I was able to discern a torpedo-boat (4 pipes), (...) which found itself at the place from where the volleys could have been fired.

When I arrived back on deck, all hell broke lose. Everyone who was able to leave the ship, did so. I have been able to help some wounded staff up the rear staircase. [noted with pen/pencil at the bottom of the firt page: 'Very good report, send a copy to CJ/Zm en RsO. A']

At some stage, a full blow hit the ... ammunition of the rear cannon. Major Mach. Swarthof was next to me at that moment. Swarthof was cast overboard by the blast and was heavily injured, according to later reports, whilst I found myself on deck some time later with torn clothes and lacerated eardrums. As no-one at the stern was able to hold on and given the fact that the ship was sufficiently intact to be towed elsewhere, I remained aboard. Communications with the fore part of the ship had been tied off, as to our larboard the front torpedo cannon was lying across deck. On starboard, the deck was teared open. The bombardment continued for some time.

After I did a round to check up on the damage, it was evident that the ship was teared up completely from underneath the bridge to the wardroom. As I saw a life raft with one man on-board drifting there, I decided to abandon the ship. It took me some time to reach the life raft, and I saw that the ship leaned over to the left, and it sank with waving flag. A few moments after the ship had sunk, we heard loud crackling. I thought we were being machine-gunned. Later, it appeared they were caused by two depth bombs ['cannons' is omitted by handwriting], which were ready for use in the pours. The ship sank at around 23.30 hours.

In my opinion, the first volleys have been fired by a U.S. hunter, probably the U.S.S. Pope, which, according to later findings, must have been near. My opinion is based upon the following facts: 1. I observed a four stacker on larboard, whereas the volleys came from larboard; 2. the hole in the A.K.R was around 50cm wide, which does not indicate a grenade of a large calibre, but rather of a 411/d'', knowing that the Japanese carried heavier artillery on their hunters; 3. The pause in the firing, which followed the first hit; 4. The firing without [manually crossed out: killing of a ship by a cannon plus'] a search light [manually crossed out: 'which as far as I know'] was the case during the raid at Balikpapan.

The U.S. hunter has also been seen by Lieutenant at Sea (?) Malpensa, and probably by many others.

The journey on the raft

When I arrived at the life raft, corporal carpenter Foekens was already there. The enemy searchlight was spent, the moon had disappeared and I could hardly discern the mountainous area in the west from the east. As the Japanese had already landed on Bali and I was not intent on making myself a prisoner of war straight away, I decided I wanted to reach the island Penida, which lay east of us. In the complete darkness, I was able to orient myself by two bright stars that arose just above the island. We were underway using a small board, and after some time had passed, we found two people who needed help from drowning. These people joined us, and they brought with them one paddle.

Some time later, we were able to pick up two other men, of whom one carried another paddle. Armed with two paddles, operated by two men sitting on either side of the raft, we were able to make some progress, whilst the other men pushed the raft downwards at the other side. Except for the two paddlers, we were all up to our necks in the water. We headed to the east, as well as well could. As the evening progressed, we noticed some search lights and signal flares in the north. At daybreak, we were able to pick up tow more swimming men, by which the number of people on the raft amounted to eight, which is far too many for this raft made out of balsa wood, meant to carry ten men. It is therefore, hard to keep the raft sufficiently afloat.

At some stage in the morning, it appeared too difficult to reach Nusa Penida as we were drifting northwards. Because of a favourable wind and the position of the sun, South Bali seemed much closer. And because we couldn't think of anything better, we headed in that direction. This caused us to end up in a stream, which carried us around South Bali into the ocean, and it became obvious that the south coast of Bali, too, could not be reached. Since the sunrays made Nusa Penida appear a very attractive destination, much easier to reach, we headed for the island and we persevered towards Nusa Penida. It was evident that we had been carried away around the south, and that at our slow pace we were not able to counter the northward current. As a result, in the morning of February 21 ['5' is crossed out, which makes it appear a '7', but given the circumstances this would have to be interpreted as '21'] it seemed we could well land on the shores of Nusa Penida. On 20 February, the sun had blinded me to such an extent, that later this caused rumours of blindness on my part.

That day, we witnessed a dogfight above Nusa Penida after which one fighter fell down and was set on fire. The pilot, as became evident later on, had jumped out and has been buried at a sight know to us at Sempel on Nusa Penida. His identity could not be verified. He wore a pocketknife with "Sprague" scratched into it, but the American pilot by this name was later seen alive. These data have been sent to controller Smit of Kupang, who was captured and made prisoner by the Japanese. During the voyage we were much inconvenienced by the oil drifting on the water, and after our arrival at Nusa, we were covered in it. Hence, our clothes could no longer be worn.

Our arrival at Nusa Penida was far from easy as the coast rose vertically and high from the sea. At some places, there were coves from where a hazardous path started upwards. Before these coves, there were coral blocks, which had to be passed before reaching the shore. I had come ashore at the wrong place, and I noticed that this landing place would inundate very soon at high tide, and there would be no accessible path upwards. When I had passed the coral blocks and arrived at the shore, there were two natives who helped me ashore from the water with bamboo sticks. They took me up the cliffs to their kampongs. This barefooted walk along coral caused a number of injuries at the soles of my feet, as a consequence of which I suffered greatly during the following days.

I was taken to a village where the remaining seven people on the raft had already found shelter. Corp. Timmerman Foekens had already taken measures and had provided food and drinks. We were offered shelter in a roofed meeting hall, which is to be found in every Balinese village. The following day, we left for Sempel, the capital of the island, where we were lodged at a school. Many people had already arrived there, and many more came to this place after we did. All in all, more than 40 men had managed to arrive on the island. The natives have found lodgings in the kampung and have left first to Bali and then on to Java on their own bet.

A number of Europeans has tried to make the crossing to Klungkung by proa, and to reach Java on foot or bicycle, at which they were successful. They reported our presence on Nusa Penida to the CMR on 2 March. Personally, I didn't see the point of this enterprise, moreover there were two heavily injured men with me who had to be taken care of. On the island, there was only one native nurse with insufficient dressing material as all the remaining men were wounded by shrapnel and coral blocks when they arrived on land. I intended to reach Lombok. I was convinced that on this island there were no Japanese, and because of earlier visits I was familiar with the hospital, doctor and a PTT radio, which would enable me to report to the C.Z.M, after which we could have been accompanied out.

The punggawa (District Head) of the island, which was part of the 'Onderafdeeling' Klungkung (Bali), has done his utmost to help us and provided shelter, clothing, which for the greater part consisted of garments from his own wardrobe, and food, which seems rather scarce on the island. It is a poor island and the few Chinese ['Balinese' has been crossed out] tokos had hidden their supplies in the mountains after what took place.

Transport to Lombok caused him great concern. There was a Madurese proa, large enough for all of us, but the crew was nowhere to be seen. A trip to Lombok proved too unusual for the islanders. After much trouble, it proved possible to make the crossing to Bali instead, where in Boeitan there was supposed to be a clinic where the heavily wounded could be taken care of. In the course of the afternoon of 28 February, I made the crossing to Boeitan on a proa in order to investigate these (...) and to find out whether it was possible to reach Java through the north of Bali.

The clinic at Boeitan did not exist, and I went to Karangasem by cikar to discuss the possibilities there. When I got there, I heard that the previous day the controller had been taken away by the Japanese and it was clear that the journey to Java was going to be very difficult. I received this information from the Javanese doctor who took care of our wounded at the hospital. (I was accompanied by Corp. Mach. Koster as I was nearly totally deaf). The doctor had also provided footwear for the six men, who, at an earlier stage, had managed to cross the straight to Klungkung. He had made sure that dressing material had been sent over to Penida, which, however, never arrived. He gave us a few boxes of dressing material, which we took back to Penida the following day.

We left on the morning of 2 March, and arrived the following evening after dark at Labuhan Tring Bay. The Japanese appeared not to have landed on Lombok. After I had called Assistent-Resident Jacobs, we were welcomed by car. The heavily wounded were taken to a hospital in Mataram where they were taken care of. The others were cordially welcomed at the home of the Assistent-Resident and were given nasi goreng with beer, which tasted really well after the rather uncomplicated Nusa Penida cuisine, and the even more so after the unsophisticated food we had enjoyed in the boat. We were given lodgings in Mataram and the following day were spent in search of suitable shoes and clothing, as our outfit was reduced to no more than a sarong and a shirt.

When we left Nusa Penida, it was know to us that four men: ltz Zêgers Veeckens, Maj. Mach. Slot, Maj. Mach. Swarthof and Corp. Mach. Nak had remained behind at the bottom of a cliff. Zêgers Veeckens, Slot and Swarthof to some degree injured, while Nak had stayed with them in order to help them. At our departure, we were assured that these men were to be assisted, and accompanied up the cliff once sufficiently strong.

When we had spent a few days on Lombok and we had received shoes and clothing, and generally we had gathered our strength, I decided to investigate the fate of these men. On Lombok there was a motorboat called the "Pat", which was at my disposal. I was accompanied by Mil. Corp. Mach. Koster who had come ashore at the exact same place and who would probably have been able to recognize the situation from the outside, and Seaman I Penninga, who was a good swimmer. Furthermore, aboard we carried a rope of some 110m and some inner tubes from a car. We intended to approach the landing place from the outside, at which Penninga, equipped with inner tubes and rope, would attempt to reach the shore, after which it would have been possible to make our way outwards and to take take all men on-board.

We departed 11 March, afternoon, in order to make the crossing by night aided by moonlight as there were reduced chances of us being spotted by the enemy. The following morning, at dusk, we arrived at Sampelan. I made it to the shore to investigate whether they had already managed to climb the steep cliffs above. It became apparent that the punggawa had left for Klungkung as he had duties to attend to. And after the messenger of these tidings was welcomed, it became obvious that nothing had been arranged, and that only two men had been seen during the previous two days. We left, after having conveyed the message that if the expedition were to fail, we would have to return by land. In the "Pat", we sailed around the south, after which the going got more difficult as passing the next corner of the island became more hazardous because of the counteracting swell and currents, with an easterly wind.

Early afternoon, it became apparent it was impossible to continue any further, so we turned around, a manoeuvre handled with much seamanship by the native juragan. As the exhaust pipe was waterlogged due to the seawater from behind, the motor ran dead. The emergency sail wasn't able to carry us any further, but we managed to repair the motor, and were able to continue our journey. After the motor once again had failed, we cast anchor near Sampelan at sunset. It appeared that the punggawa had been called back from Bali, in possession of a large number of Japanese flags, which he didn't seem to like at all. He had been a messenger to and fro to the village, where our four men had been waiting anxiously. It became apparent these men had not been taken care of, that the punggawa had received erroneous information and that, indeed, only two men had been observed as of late.

I wanted to go there the following morning, but because there was the risk of the Japanese and traitors amongst the population, the punggawa assured me that he would make sure that the men were to be accompanied. After having expressed the threat that if our men were not to be safely accompanied to Lombok within a certain number of days [...], we left for Lombok. And indeed, the punggawa kept his promise and the following afternoon he accompanied ltz Zêgers Veeckens and Maj. Mach. Slot up the steep cliffs and helped them to get out to Lombok straight away. This was against the orders of the new authorities.

Maj. Mach. Swarthof succumbed to his injuries suffered onboard within a few days, while Corp. Mach. Nak had died whilst trying to climb the steep cliff unaided, after which he had fallen to the ground and perished. During these three weeks, the remaining two men survived on water, which seeped from the cliffs, and leaves and snails, whilst natives tricked them and taken from them their wedding rings, without anything in return.

After we arrived on Lombok, the Assistant-Resident immediately sent a message to the CZM, by PTT radio, at which a reply came from Bandung that the telegram had arrived. I had conveyed a message to the remaining men who had departed to Java through Bali, that they should report to Surabaya, that a number of survivors from the Hr. Ms. "Piet Hein" were still present on Nusa Penida, and that I was intent on leaving for Lombok as soon as possible. In relation to this message, the Binnenlands Bestuur took measures, after having consulted us on this subject, in order to inform us as soon as possible on the arrival of allied vessels or aeroplanes, after which our embarkation would have lasted only a short while. Attempts were made to use the PTT Radio Station in order to reach the allied forces, but the transmitting station was only fit for one wavelength, crystal wave, and could not be used on any other wavelength, and all other radio data were absent.

Then, we thought about leaving on the motor boat the "Pat" and sometime later on a Makassar proa called the "Constantinopel". Given the limited range of action, the sail-bearing capacity and the size (only ± 11m. in length) of the motorboat, we decided not to embark on this journey. Moreover, there appeared to be no sea maps or any other navigational instruments for that matter, and at present it was only possible to take as little as one month's ration of water for the duration of the journey. These limitations also went for the prao "Constantinopel". What's more, when this amount became available, the east monsoon arrived with gradually stronger east-west currents in the Timor Sea. As a consequence of this, our chances of arriving there were reduced to a minimum. Op top of this, we were expecting to be picked up there.

On 12 March, three survivors of the Hr. Ms. "van Amstel" arrived on Lombok, of whom one was heavily injured by shell fragments. These men have been hospitalised and taken care of by the B.B. (Binnenlands Bestuur; Colonial Internal Government).

Tanjung Priok, 11 [the first '1' has been crossed out and replaced by a '3', so the date changes into '31'] December 1945; Officer M.S.D. 1e class, [signed] Ir. N.J.C. Smit

Corporal Nak

REPORT, concerning the conduct of the late Corp. Mach. Nak, initials and stbno. unknown to me, on 21 February 1942 and the following days. Corp. Nak found himself on a raft with seven other survivors from aboard the Hr. Ms. "Piet Hein". The raft landed on Nusa Penida at a point where climbing the enormously steep and high cliffs was especially difficult. Four of the eight men were able to make their way up directly, but the heavily injured Maj. Mach. Swarthof and the slightly wounded, though exhausted, ltz Zêgers Veeckens and Maj. Mach. Slot were not able to climb the cliffs.

Corp. Nak, although he wasn't wounded or exhausted, stayed behind to assist them. There was some water available, but regarding food, they had to make do with leaved from the undergrowth and snails. After a few days, Maj. Mach. Swarthof succumbed to his injuries. There was no help from above, so that Corp. Nak decided to climb upwards in order to ask for assistance. There had been a number of native down at the bottom of the cliffs, but refused help, offering to swap a coconut for a wedding ring, and they ran away with both of them. Half way his climb up, Nak fell down and lost his life, trying to get help for the benefit of his companions in adversity.

Above mentioned facts were conveyed to me by both Ltz Zêgers Veeckens and Maj. Mach. Slot after their arrival on Lombok on 15 March 1942. As both spokesmen have deceased, I consider it my duty, finally, to report these facts. Given the fact that Corp. Nak showed great sacrifice towards his companions who were suffering in a terrible way, a fact which led to his own death, I therefore am intent on asking you to consider granting him a decoration.

Tanjung Priok, 11 December 1945; Officer M.S.D. 1e class, [signed] Ir. N.J.C. Smit [At the bottom of page no.9, in handwriting, is written: 'To the chairman of the C.O.G.']


Names of survivors from aboard the Hr. Ms. "Piet Hein", who have arrived on Nusa Penida: Mil. bootswain Mayer vx; Corp. Mach Maas vx; Sailor.1e class Van Wageningen vx; Sailor.2e class Voogd vx & de Vries vx; Fireman oiler Stokkelaar vx; by proa crossed to Klungkung (Bali), and later arrived in Surabaya; Corp. carpenter Foekens; Sailor.1e class Soetyadi v; fireman 2e class Mens v; 26 February crossed to Klungkung, unaided attempted to reach Java; Corp. fireman Hendra; Corp. cook Subagio & Sasrowirya v; Sailor.1e class Padang; Sailor. Telegr. Supang v; Native servant Suba v & Sompyo v & Samar v & Prosdiya v, & Damar v; Mil. sailor. Arifin v; 27 February left unaided to Java through Bali; Off. MSD 1e class Smit vx; Ltz 3e class Van Ysel Smit vx; Sgt. telegrapher Brown vx; Sgt. mechanic Van Eijssel vx; Corp. bott. Vlaming vx; Corp. Mach. Van Emminga vx; Mil.Corp. Mach. Koster v; 'Konst.' seaman Swelteringa; Sailor. 1e class Pfenning v & Meerleveld v; Sailor.2e class Baalen vx & Van Breding vx; [11] Fireman oiler Dijksema; Fireman 2e class Rowland vx; Mil. sailor. Stalmeester vx & Berlin v; Mil. fireman Van Cleve vx; 2 March left Lombok arrived on Nusa Penida; 15 March arrived on Lombok from Nusa Penida. Ltz 2e class Zêgers Veeckens v & Maj. Mach. Slot v; 12 March arrived on Lombok survivors of the Hr. Ms. "van Amstel". Mil. mechanic Ruding -; Mil. Telegrapher Van de Poort -; Sailor r.m. Labuhantiga -

[In very small print, on top of this page, is written: "aangel L de Vos/Vis [?]"; behind most names in below list there are one or two signs (a 'v' sometimes combined with an 'x') or somtimes none at all. Does this indicate that these names have somehow been verified and/or have deceased?]


  • Smit, Ir.N.J.C. - Rapport van de officier MSD 1e klasse ir. N.J.C. Smit inzake de krijgsverrichtingen en ondergang van de Hr. Ms. Piet Hein alsmede de tocht met enige overlevenden op een vlot naar Noesa Penida; Ministerie van Marine: Commissie Onderzoek Gedragingen Marinepersoneel Nederlands-Indië, 1945-1949 (1950-1954) » Inventaris nr. 84; http://www.gahetna.nl/collectie/archief/inventaris/index/eadid/2.12.51/inventarisnr/84

Note 1: discretion

This document was viewed at the National Dutch Archives (NA, Nationaal Archief) in The Hague, February 2013. It was the NA's explicit request to refrain from publishing the names of the people involved as a way of respecting the privacy of those still alive today. Therefore, all names in this report are fictitious, except for the names of N.J.C. Smit, Zêgers Veeckens, Nak, and Slot. The reasons for this are that 'Smit' can be found online as part of the title of present report, and Zêgers, Slot and Nak have reportedly died, as stated by Smit in 1945 in this report. G.J.Swarthof reportedly died on Nusa Penida in 1942, see below.

Note 2: Bravery Award (Bronzen Kruis) for G.J. Swarthof

G.J.Swarthof (without date or place of birth; deceased at Noesa Penida on 25 February 1942), of Dutch nationality, was Major Machinist with the Royal Dutch Navy. By Royal Decree no.23, the bravery award ‘Bronzen Kruis’ (Bronze Cross) was granted to him on 23-11-1948.

Source: https://www.defensie.nl/onderwerpen/onderscheidingen/dapperheidsonderscheidingen/databank-dapperheidsonderscheidingen/1948/11/13/swarthof-g-j

Original Dutch text

Nacht van 19-20 Februari 1942

De kliffen van Noesa Penida bij Bali'. Tydemans gezicht op stijle kliffen van Noesa Penida (eiland z.o. van Bali)', Gustaaf Frederik Tydeman op schip Siboga, 1899' Bron: www.maritiemdigitaal.nl

[in handschrift bovenaan deze pagina staat: 'Verslag daags M.K. – H: m: Piet Hein = Agno177C06/7-1-45 – Smit']

Tijdens de actie bevond ik mij bij de ingang M.K. onder achterbrug, waar ik zoowel voor moeilijkheden aan dek als in de M.K. bij de hand was. Officier M.S.D. van Muyden [de 'M' is in dik zwart handschrift verbeterd, de originele letter is moeilijk leesbaar, zou een h of m of n kunnen zijn] bevond zich in de M.K. en had daar de directe leiding.

Nadat de torpedo's van het achtertorpedokanon waren afgevuurd, waarbij door kardoesresten de matten aangestoken waren, hetgeen snel gebluscht, gebeurde een tijdlang niets. Het schip bleef met 23 mijls vaart doorstoomen. Door de duisternis konden wij van de manouvres niets waarnemen. Het was stil op het schip, daar de tandwielen van uitzonderlijke goede makely waren, en bij deze vaart met drie ketels het lawaai der ketelp/fans gering bleef. ± 22.30 hoorden wij lawaai aan stuurboord en zagen de aanslagen van een salvo van drie granaten. We zochten zoo goed mogelijk dekking, waarna een tweede salvo dichterbij viel, gevolgd door een derde, dat raakte in de Midscheeps. De salvo's werden snel achter elkaar zonder zoeklicht afgegeven. Aan dek gezien waren de resultaten een brandende vliegtuigliermotor, die een fel licht verspreidde.

In de vuurpauze, volgend op de drie salvo's heb ik getracht het bedrijf weer op gang te krijgen, wat niet gelukken kon, doordat onze eenige resteerende ketel geen water kon krijgen en op een gegeven moment wegens watergebrek afgezet werd, en het personeel naar boven gestuurd. Daar het schip weer opnieuw onder vuur genomen werd, nu van stuurboord met behulp van een zoeklicht, en in de M.K. alle werktuigen gestopt waren, heb ik het personeel naar boven gestuurd. In de vuurpauze heb ik aan bakboord, wat achterlijker dan dwars duidelijk een torpedojager waargenomen (4 pijpen) zich bevindend op de plaats, vanwaar de salvo's afgevuurd zouden (kunnen) zijn.

Toen ik bovenkwam was de hel losgebarsten, en scheen iedereen die kon het schip hebben verlaten. Ik heb nog enkele menschen de achtertrap opgeholpen, die gewond waren. [met pen/potlood onder aan de eerste pagina: ‘Zeer goed rapport, afdr. zenden aan CJ/Zm en RsO. A’]

Op een gegeven moment is een treffer gekomen in de gereedheidsmunitie van het achterkanon. De maj. Mach. Swarthof stond toen bij me. Door de blast werd Swarthof buiten boord gezet en volgens latere berichten zwaar gewond, terwijl ik me zelf met gescheurde kleeren en trommelvliezen aan dek terug vond. Daar op het achterschip niemand anders meer op de been was en het schip nog voldoende intact om eventueel versleept te worden ben ik nog aan boord gebleven. De verbinding met het voorschip was inmiddels verbroken, doordat aan bakboord het voortorpedokanon dwars over dek lag, en aan stuurboord het dek open lag. Het bombardement ging nog eenigen tijd voort.

Na een ronde te hebben gemaakt om de schade op te nemen, bleek het dat het schip aan stuurboord open lag vanonder de brug tot en met de longroom. Daar ik aan bakboord een reddingsvlot zag drijven met één man besloot ik het schip te verlaten. Enkele oogenblikken na het bereiken van het vlot zwaaide het schip naar SB over, en zonk met waaiende vlag. Eenige oogenblikken na het zinken hoorden wij veel geknetter. Ik dacht dat wij gemittrailleerd werden, het bleek later het ontploffen van twee diepte bommen [‘kanonnen’ is met de hand doorgehaald] te zijn, die klaar voor gebruik in de goten lagen. Het schip zonk ± 23.30.

Naar mijn mening zijn de eerste salvo’s gekomen van een U.S. jager waarschijnlijk U.S.S. Pope, welke volgens latere opgaven in deze buurt geweest is. Deze meening is op de volgende feiten gefundeerd.
1.    de waarneming van een fourstacker aan bakboord, terwijl de salvo’s van bakboord kwamen.
2.    het gat in het A.K.R. was ± 50cm, wat niet wijst op een groot kaliber granaat, meer voor een 411/4’’, terwijl de Japs zwaarder geschut op hun jagers hadden.
3.    De vuurpauze die volgde op de eerste treffers.
4.    Het vuren zonder [doorgetreept: ‘afmaken van het schip door een kanon plus’] zoeklicht [doorgestreept; ‘dat zoover ik weet’] ook bij de raid bij Balikpapan is geschied.

De U.S. Jager is ook De tocht met het vlot/ door ltz. Malpensa gezien (?), waarschijnlijk ook door anderen.

De tocht op het vlot

Toen ik op het vlot aankwam, bevond zich daar reed een korp. timmerman Foekens. Het zoeklicht van de vijand was uit, de maan was ondergegaan; en ik kon met moeite bergland in het Westen en het Oosten onderscheiden. Daar de Japanners reeds op Bali geland waren en ik niet voornemens was om zonder meer krijgsgevangen te worden, besloot ik te beproeven het eiland Penida dat Oostelijk van mij lag te bereiken. Ik kon mij bij verdere duisternis oriënteren aan twee heldere sterren die vlak boven het eiland opkwamen. We gingen onderweg met behulp van en plankje, en vonden na eenigen tijd twee drenkelingen, die zich bij ons voegden, en één pagaai meebrachten.

Weer wat later konden wij nog twee man oppikken, waarvan wederom één met pagaai. Met twee pagaaien bediend door twee man aan de rand van het vlot gezeten terwijl de rest de andere kant van het vlot neerdrukte, was het mogelijk eenige voortgang te maken. Behalve de twee pagaaiers, zat iedereen tot aan de nek in het water. We koersten zoo goed mogelijk in de richting Oost. In de loop van de nacht zagen we nog zoeklichtbundels en lichtkogels in het Noorden. Na dag worden konden we nog twee zwemmers oppikken waardoor ons aantal acht bedroeg, wat veel te veel is voor dit voor tien man bestemde balsa-houten vlot. Het is dan moeilijk om [doorgehaald: ‘voor’] de roeiers om voldoende omhoog te krijgen.

In de loop van de morgen bleek het onmogelijk te zijn Noesa Penida te bereiken, we dreven er voorbij in Noordelijke richting. Door een gunstige stand van de zon leek Zuid Bali veel dichterbij, en omdat er toen niets beters te bedenken was hebben we toen koers gezet op Zuid Bali. Hierdoor kwamen we terecht in een stroom, die ons om de Zuid zette tot in de Oceaan. Het bleek , dat ook Zuid Bali niet bereikt kon worden. Daar de middagzon het eiland Penida aantrekkelijk dichtbij liet schijnen zijn we toen weer in deze richting gegaan, en hebben in deze richting doorgezet. Het bleek dat we voldoende om de Zuid waren gezet, om met onze geringe snelheid de om de Noord zettende stroom te kruisen, en werd het ons mogelijk om in de morgen van de 21 [doorgehaald ‘5’, waardoor het een ‘7’ lijkt, maar gezien de gebeurtenissen waarschijnlijk ‘21’ moet zijn] Februari op Noesa Penida te landen. In de loop van de 20ste heb ik veel last gehad van verblinding door de zon, wat later aanleiding gegeven heeft tot geruchten over blindheid.

We hebben die dag een luchtgevecht waargenomen boven Penida waarbij één jager viel en in brand vloog. De vlieger, bleek ons later, was eruit gesprongen, en ligt nu op een ons bekende plek begraven bij Sempel op Penida. Identiteit kon niet worden vastgesteld. Hij had een zakmes bij zich met ingekrast “Sprague”, doch de Amerikaansche vlieger van deze naam is later nog in leven gezien. De gegevens hierover zijn aan de controleur Smith van Koepang gezonden, die later door de Jappen is gevangen genomen. Gedurende de reis hebben we veel last gehad van de op het water drijvende olie, en we waren bij aankomst op Penida ermee overdekt en de kleeren onbruikbaar geworden.

De aankomst op Penida was niet eenvoudig, daar de kust hier verticaal en hoog uit de zee oprijs. Hier en daar is een inham, waar en zeer moeilijk pad omhoog begint. Voor deze inhammen bevinden zich karangblokken, die gepasseerd moeten worden, alvorens de kust te kunnen bereiken. Ik was op de verkeerde plaats aan den wal gegaan, maar zag dat dit stuk bij hoog water onder water kwam, en geen pad omhoog aanwezig was. Ik moest daarom rondzwemmen om een betere landingsplaats te bereiken. Toen ik de karangriffen gepasseerd had en aan de kust aankwam bevonden zich daar ter plaatse twee inlanders, die me met behulp van een bamboe uit het water trokken, en me verder mee naar boven en naar hun kampoeng namen. Deze tocht met doorweekte bloote voeten over karang veroorzaakte beschadiging van de voetzolen waarvan ik de volgende dagen veel last ondervond.

Ik werd naar een dorp gebracht, waar de andere zeven van het vlot reeds waren aangekomen, en waar de korp. Timmerman Foekens reeds maatregelen genomen had voor eten en drinken, en waar ons onderdak verschaft werd in de overdekte vergadergelegenheid, zooals in elk Balineesch dorp aanwezig is. De volgende dag vertrokken we naar Sempel het hoofdplaatsje van het eiland, waar we in een school werden ondergebracht. Er bleken al vele lieden reeds aangekomen te zijn, er kwamen er na ons nog meer; in het totaal zijn ruim 40 man op het eiland aangekomen. De inlanders hebben zich in de kampoeng ingekwartierd, en zijn op eigen gelegenheid via Bali naar Java vertrokken.

Een aantal Europeanen heeft het erop gewaagd om met een prauw naar Kloengkoeng over te steken en te voet, per fiets enz. naar Java te komen, wat ook hen gelukt is en die op 2 Maart onze aanwezigheid op Penida rapporteerden bij den CMR. Persoonlijk zag ik niet veel heil in deze onderneming, bovendien waren bij me twee zwaar gewonden, die geholpen moesten worden. Op het eiland was slechts een inlandsche verpleger, met onvoldoende verbandmiddelen want alle overblijvenden waren gewond door granaatscherven en de karangblokken bij het aan land komen. Mijn opzet was om naar Lombok te komen. Van dit eiland was ik overtuigd geen Japs te zullen aantreffen en was ik van een vroeger bezoek bekend met de aanwezigheid van hospitaal, dokter, en een radio van de P.T.T, die mij gelegenheid zou geven mij bij de C.Z.M te melden, waarna wij afgehaald zouden kunnen worden.

De poengawa (districtshoofd) van het eiland, dat onder de Onderafdeeling Kloengkoeng (Bali) stond, heeft ons bijzonder geholpen bij het onderdak brengen , kleeden, wat grootendeels uit zijn eigen garderobe geschiedde, en het voorzien van voedsel, waarvoor het eiland geen groote mogelijkheden biedt. Het is een arm eiland en de weinige Chineesche ['Balineese' is doorgehaald] toko's hadden na het gebeurde in Straat Badoeng hun voorraden in de bergen verborgen.

Het vervoer naar Lombok veroorzaakte hem groote moeilijkheden, er was een Madoereesche prauw aanwezig, groot genoeg om ons allen onder een dak te vervoeren, maar een bemanning was niet te vinden. Een reis naar Lombok was voor de eilanders te ongewoon. Na veel strubbelingen bleek het wel mogelijk te zijn naar Bali vervoerd te worden waar in Boeitan een kliniek zou zijn waar de zwaargewonden opgenomen zouden kunnen worden. In de loop van de middag van de 28ste Februari ben ik toen naar Boeitan overgestoken met een vlerkprauw, teneinde deze opgaven te onderzoeken, en te kijken of het voor de anderen mogelijk was om via Noord Bali Java te bereiken.

De kliniek in Boeitan was niet aanwezig, waarop ik per tjikar naar Karangasem gegaan ben om daar de mogelijkheden te bespreken. Daar aangekomen bleek dat de contoleur de vorige dag weggevoerd was door de Jappen, en dat de reis naar Java ondoenlijk geacht moest worden. Nieuws over de oorlog was niet te krijgen daar alle radio's vernietigd waren. Ik kreeg deze inlichtingen van de Javaansche dokter van het hospitaal die onze wonden verzorgde. (Ik had de mil. Korp. Mach. Koster meegenomen in verband met mijn bijna volledige doofheid). De dokter had ook de zes man die reeds eerder naar Kloengkoeng waren overgestoken, aan schoenen e.d. geholpen. Hij had verbandmiddelen naar Penida gezonden, die echter noot zijn aangekomen. Hij gaf ons nog een paar kisten verbandmiddelen mee, waarmee we den volgenden dag weer op Penida zijn aangekomen.

In de morgen van 2 Maart zijn we toen vertrokken en den volgenden avond na donker in de Laboean Tringbaai aangekomen. Jappen bleken nog niet op Lombok te zijn. Nadat ik de Assistent-Resident van Lombok Jacobs had opgebeld werden we per auto gehaald. De zwaar gewonden werden in het hospitaaltje in Mataram opgenomen en verzorgd. De anderen werden in de Assistent-Resident woning onthaald op nasi goreng met bier, wat er bijzonder inviel na het éénvoudige menu van Noesa Penida, en het nog éénvoudiger in de prauw. We werden ingekwartierd in Mataram; de volgende dagen werden besteed voor verkrijgen van schoenen en kleeren, want onze uitrusting bestond uit sarong met hemd zonder meer.

Toen wij van Penida vertrokken was ons bekend, dat nog vier man, ltz Zêgers Veeckens, maj. mach. Slot, maj. mach. Swarthof en korp. mach. Nak nog op een plekje onder aan de rotswand waren achtergebleven. De eerste drie waren meer of minder gewond terwijl Nak bij hen was gebleven om hen te helpen. Bij ons vertrek werd ons verzekerd, dat deze menschen geholpen zouden worden, en, wanneer ze wat aangesterkt waren naar boven zouden worden geholpen.

Toen we eenige dagen op Lombok waren en voorzien van kleeren en schoenen, en in het algemeen wat bijgetrokken waren, besloot ik een onderzoek in te stellen naar deze lieden. Er was op Lombok een motorbootje de “Pat”, dat tot mijn beschikking gesteld werd. Ik nam met mij mede de mil. Korp. mach. Koster die op dezelfde laats aan land was gekomen, en de situatie naar de buitenzijde wellicht zou herkennen, en de matr. I Penninga, die een goede zwemmer was. Voorts had ik aan boord een lijn van ± 110m., en eenige autobinnenbanden. De bedoeling was om de landingsplaats van de buitenzijde te benaderen, waarna Penninga voorzien van autobanden en lijn aan wal zou pogen te komen waarna het mogelijk moest zijn, door naar buiten te stoomen, allen binnen boord te nemen.

We vertrokken in den middag van 11 Maart, teneinde de overtocht bij nacht te maken bij maanlicht waardoor minder kans op verkenning door den vijand bestond. De volgende morgen bij dag worden kwamen we bij Sampelan aan. Ik begaf me naar de wal, teneinde te onderzoeken of zij wellicht al naar boven waren gekomen. Het bleek dat de poengawa voor dienst naar Kloengkoeng was, en nadat brenger van de laatste ons bekende berichten opgehaald werd, bleek dat voor niets gezorgd was, en dat nog maar twee man gezien waren de laatste dagen. Met de boodschap dat, indien de expeditie zou mislukken, ik terug zou komen om het over land te probeeren, zijn we vertrokken. We zijn toen met de “Pat” om de Zuid gestoomd, waarbij na het passeren van elke volgende hoek van het eiland de zeegang slechter werd, door het tegen elkaar in werken van oceaandeining en stroom, met een oostelijke wind.

Tegen het eind van de morgen bleek het onmogelijk te zijn verder te gaan en zijn we omgedraaid, een manoeuvre die de inlandsche djoeragan met veel zeemanschap verrichtte. Door de achterin loopende zeeën liep de uitlaatpijp van de motor vol water, waarop de motor afsloeg. Het noodzeil was niet in staat om ons verder te doen gaan, maar de motor kon weer in orde gemaakt worden, en konden we weer voort. Nadat de motor nog eenmaal afgeslagen was zijn we tegen zonsondergang weer bij Sampelan voor anker gekomen. Daar bleek de poengawa van Bali terug te zijn gehaald, voorzien van een groote voorraad Japansche vlaggen, wat hij heelemaal niet leuk vond, en een boodschapper op en neer te zijn geweest naar het dorp, waaronder onze vier menschen nog zaten. Het bleek dat zij niet geholpen waren, dat de poengawa foutief ingelicht was en dat de laatste tijd inderdaad maar twee man gezien waren.

Ik wilde den volgende morgen erheen gaan, maar in verband met de Jappen en verraders onder de bevolking verzekerde de poengawa mij dat hij zorg zou dragen, dat ze er af gehaald zouden worden. Met het dreigement, dat wanneer de menschen binnen een zekeren tijd niet op Lombok zouden zijn aangekomen, [met de hand erboven geschreven: ‘wij weer terug konden komen’], zijn we weer naar Lombok vertrokken. Inderdaad heeft de poengawa den volgenden middag, Vrijdag 13 Maart ltz Zêgers Veeckens en maj.mach. Slot naar boven gehaald, en direct naar Lombok verscheept, wat tegen de orders was van de nieuwe autoriteiten.

De maj. mach. Swarthof was al één der eerste dagen van zijn aan boord bekomen verwondingen overleden, terwijl de korp. mach. Nak bij een poging om zonder hulp naar boven te klimmen een doodelijke val gemaakt heeft. De twee overigen hebben gedurende deze drie weken geleefd van water, dat uit de rotswand stroomde, boombladeren en slakken, terwijl inlanders hun nog opgelicht hebben van hun trouwringen e.d. zonder tegenprestaties.

Op Lombok aangekomen heeft de Assistent Resident onmiddellijk den CZM een bericht hierover gezonden, door de P.T.T.-radio, waarna uit Bandoeng bericht werd, dat het telegram was overgekomen. Aan de menschen die via Bali naar Java vertrokken, had ik opgedragen in Soerabaja te melden, dat op Noesa Penida nog een aantal overlevenden van Hr.Ms. “Piet Hein” aanwezig was, en dat ik de bedoeling had, zoo spoedig mogelijk naar Lombok te vertrekken. In verband met deze meldingen werden door het Binnenlands Bestuur in overleg met ons maatregelen genomen, om ons, bij het aan kust komen van geallieerde vaar- of vliegtuigen, zoo snel mogelijk hiervan op de hoogte te brengen, waarna onze inscheping een zaak van korten duur zou zijn. Gepoogd is nog gebruik te maken van het P.T.T.-radiostation, om contact te zoeken met geallieerde strijdkrachten, maar de zender was ingesteld op één golf, kristalzender en kon op geen andere golf gebruikt worden, terwijl alle radiogegevens ontbraken.

Voorts hebben wij overwogen met het motorbootje de “Pat” en later met een Makassaarsche prauw de “Constantinopel” te vertrekken, maar wat het motorbootje betreft deed de geringe actieradius als motorboot het geringe zeilvermogen, en de groote van het vaartuig (± 11m. lang) ons van deze onderneming afzien. Bovendien was geen enkele kaart of zeevaartkundig instrument beschikbaar, en was de openzeeroute naar Broome de eenige mogelijke. We waren toen met 22 man, en het was mogelijk nu voor de reisduur van een maand water mede te nemen. Voor de prauw “Constantinopel” golden de laatste overwegingen eveneens, bovendien was toen deze beschikbaar kwam de Oostmoesson met stroom Oost-West in de Timorzee begonnen door te zetten, waardoor de kansen om aan te komen minimaal weden. En bovendien verwachtten we afgehaald te zullen worden.

Op 12 Maart zijn op Lombok een drietal overlevenden van Hr. Ms. “van Amstel” aangekomen, waarvan één zwaar gewond door een granaatscherf. Deze lieden zijn door het B.B. opgenomen en verzorgd.

Tandjong Priok, 11 [de eerste 1 is doorgehaald en is vervangen door ‘3’ waardoor de datum verandert in 31] December 1945; De officier M.S.D. 1e klasse, [getekend] Ir. N.J.C. Smit

Korporaal Nak

RAPPORT, betreffende het gedrag van wijlen den korp. mach. Nak voorletters en stbno. mij onbekend op 21 Februari 1942 en volgende dagen. Korp. Nak bevond zich op een vlot met zeven andere overlevenden van Hr. Ms. “Piet Hein”. Het vlot kwam aan land op Noesa Penida, op een punt waar de beklimming van de uiterst steile en hooge rotswand bijzonder moeilijk was. Vier van de acht konden direct omhoog klimmen, doch de zwaargewonde maj. mach. Swarthof, en de licht gewonde doch uitgeputte ltz Zêgers Veeckens en maj. mach. Slot konden de klim niet wagen.

De korp. Nak, hoewel niet gewond of uitgeput bleef bij hen, om hen te helpen en bij te staan. Water was aanwezig, doch met bladeren van struiken en slakken moesten zij zich voeden. Na enkele dagen reeds overleed de maj. mach. Swarthof aan zijn wonden. Hulp van boven bleef uit, zoodat korp. Nak besloot omhoog te klimmen om hulp te halen. Wel waren inlanders beneden geweest, maar deze weigerden hulp, verkochten een klapper voor een trouwring en liepen met beiden weg. Tijdens de klim is Nak omlaag gestort, en heeft zoo het leven verloren in een poging tot het halen van hulp voor zijn lotgenooten.

Bovenstaande feiten werden mij zoowel door ltz Zêgers Veeckens als door de maj. mach. Slot na hun aankomst op Lombok op 15 Maart 1942 medegedeeld. Waar beide zegslieden inmiddels zijn overleden acht ik het mijn plicht bovenstaande feiten alsnog te rapporteeren. Aangezien de korp. Nak blijk heeft gegeven van buitengewone opofferingsgezindheid jegens zijn in nood verkerende lotgenooten, die zelfs zijn dood ten gevolge had, meen ik U in overweging te moeten geven, hem alsnog voor een onderscheiding in aanmerking te doen komen.

Tandjong Priok, 11 December 1945; De officier M.S.D. 1e klasse, [getekend] Ir. N.J.C. Smit [Onderaan p.9 staat in handschrift: ‘Aan den voorzitter van de C.O.G.’]


[in heel kleine letters bovenaan deze pagina staat “aangel L de Vos/Vis [?]

Namen van overlevenden van Hr. Ms. “Piet Hein” welke op Noesa Penida aan wal gekomen zijn:

  • Mil. bootsman Mayer
  • Korp. mach Maas
  • Matr.1e klasse Van Wageningen
  • Matr.2e klasse Voogd de Vries
  • Stoker olieman Stokkelaar

24 Februari per vlerkprauw naar Kloengkoeng (Bali) overgestoken, en later in Soerabaja aangekomen:

  • Korp. timmerman Foekens
  • matr.1e klasse Soetyadi
  • stoker 2e klasse Mens

26 Februari overgestoken naar Kloengkoeng op eigen gelegenheid getracht Java te bereiken:

  • Korp. stoker Hendra
  • Korp. kok Subagio & Sasrowirya
  • Matr.1e klasse Padang
  • Matr. telegr. Supang
  • Inl. bediende Suba & Sompyo & Samar & Prosdiya, & Damar
  • Mil. matr. Arifin

27 Februari op eigen gelegenheid via Bali naar Java vertrokken:

  • Off. MSD 1e klasse Smit
  • Ltz 3e klasse Van Ysel/IJsel Smit
  • Sergt. telegrafist Brown
  • Sergt. monteur Van Eijssel
  • Korp. bottelier Vlaming
  • Korp. mach. Van Emminga
  • Mil.korp. mach. Koster
  • Konst. maat Swelteringa
  • Matr. 1e klasse Pfenning, Meerleveld
  • Matr. 2e klasse Baalen, Van Breding.
  • Stoker olieman Dijksema
  • Stoker 2e klasse Rowland
  • Mil. matr. Stalmeester, Berlin
  • Mil. stoker Van Cleve; .

2 Maart vertrokken op Lombok aangekomen van Noesa Penida:

15 Maart op Lombok aangekomen van Noesa Penida

  • Ltz 2e klasse Zêgers Veeckens
  • Maj. mach. Slot

12 Maart op Lombok aangekomen overlevenden van Hr. Ms. “van Amstel”:

  • Mil. monteur Ruding
  • Mil. telegrafist van de Poort
  • Matroos r.m. Labuhantiga.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. research: Godi Dijkman http://guidomansdijk-talen.nlsocial facebook box white 24